This adventure started in September of 2008 and ended in January 2009 in Paris. It was a gift to myself to celebrate 60 years on earth...this time. It was part of the 2008=60 tour along with the 2008 Scooter Diaries. I was not blogging then, but just sending emails to friends. Some days are missing. Hopefully I will recover them. I blog my adventures now as much as a way to store the story on line, so I can find them, as much as it is to share with others.







NOVEMBER 7

Thursday we hopped the #27 bus from St. Raphael to Draguignan under sunny skies that would turn overcast as the day went on.  All we knew was that there was a bus to there, a prison, American cemetery, and was in the hills.  We have no idea what the scenery on the ride was like because Vicki went into a big trance and my head blow up about 30 minutes into the 1 hour 15 minute ride.  The driver subjected us to the political torture we came here to avoid.  He had a talk radio show on the speakers at double the volume and the subject was comparing Sarkozy to Obama with the usual talking heads talking over each other and best I could tell no one saying anything worth listening to!!!  TORTURE!!!!!!
 
The town was  disappointing.  The old town was totally abandoned and the town overall was decorated with graffiti. We saw the cemetery and walked around town and caught the next bus, without a radio, out of town. 
 
Interesting that most French people we talk to our age and older will guite often say they owe their freedom to the USA and are very thankful.  Never heard the young say that, but never heard the young in the USA talk about it either.
 
 
To compensate for the day of torture we found a nice bottle of champaign from the landlord, Jean Pierre, at the door when we got home.
 
 
I have wandered all my life, and I have traveled; the difference between the two is this -- we wander for distraction, but we travel for fulfillment.
--Hilaire Belloc